[ Positioning & Messaging ]
Much has changed since the advent of digital marketing, but the quest for the optimal brand positioning strategy and resultant message is as elusive as ever. Messaging has become more complex, with an explosion of vehicles; new media now sit alongside traditional advertising, packages, visual aids and brochures as potential real estate for messages. It is equally tough to carve out a distinct mental space in markets where "me-too" products proliferate.
At Knowledge Networks, we believe that insightful research can help clients develop and refine positionings and messages. But the science of measurement must be matched by a healthy dose of creativity. Our blend of advanced analytics and testing track record across multiple categories allow us to provide focused solutions to our clients. KN adapts our measurement frameworks to the industry, the audience and the stage of the brand lifecycle. For example, pre-launch message testing for a new drug's direct-to-consumer advertising is different from testing on-package claims for a well-known line of pizzas that enjoy national distribution.
Optimize brand positioning by aligning key criteria
Our quantitative measurement approaches are customized to different situations:
- Test positioning alternatives – monadic and sequential designs are used to determine the positioning candidates with the strongest potential to differentiate the brand in pre-launch and in-line situations. Image mapping can be used to decompose the specific parts of a positioning statement that turn consumers on or off a brand.
- Evaluating ready-to-use claims or messages – ideal for winnowing down long lists of client and/or competitor messages to the best candidates, this approach can be used for new and in-line brands. Simple forced choice exercises and quantitative diagnostics pinpoint the messages that best motivate consumer and customer actions, while fitting the brand positioning strategy.
- Determine the optimal bundle of messages – KN's next generation TURF analysis – MaxURPlus – determines the bundle of messages that activates the largest number of target consumers.
- Construct a message blueprint by optimizing the various elements - discrete choice modeling can determine the optimal combination of message components e.g., core claims, set-up statements, benefits and user/patient type.
- Track message effectiveness – gauge the recall and impact of messages post-activation; Our MD-detail® solution is designed to test Rx message effectiveness.
Knowledge Networks advises clients why positioning and message candidates succeed or fail, not just whether they do; specifically, we…
- Provide interactive decision tools or simulators.
- Partner with clients to build custom norms and databases, providing a repository of knowledge to develop best practices for ongoing message construction.
- Use workshops and training sessions to improve the quality of message ideation before testing, drawing on the lessons we have learned across and within categories.
- Integrate qualitative perspectives into our quantitative approaches through the use of Quale® Video and Quale Probe.
KN's approaches to positioning and message testing have been successfully adapted to test other brand identity elements, such as brand names, logos and taglines.
the brand positioning and message
- Webinar: A Disciplined Approach to Brand Building for Uncertain Times –
Recorded Video – Windows Media | Slides - .pdf
- Product Spotlight: Knowledge Networks delivers expert solution to finding your optimum brand identity elements